Monday, September 28, 2009

1) My first experience in a teaching enviorment

I had my first experience as a volunteer in an elementary school in Providence. The school that I'm volunteering at is Edmund W Flynn Elementary School. I wasn't too surprised by the looks of the neighborhood because I've been in that area before,seeing as the school was right near Rhode Island Hospital. When I first got there I was a little nervous, but once I went to the office I started to feel more excited. I had the opportunity to observe a kindergarten classroom. When I first walked in the classroom I was so intrigued by just watching the children that I didn't really pay attention to the atmosphere. Once the Children were working on their coloring project, I started to notice how congested the class room was. The children sat at little tables in groups of three or four. Some of the children looked like they didn't have enough room to spread out and do their work. I noticed that the tables were also very close together. I found this experience to be absolutely wonderful, but also sad at the same time. I was shocked at some of the children's appearance. One of the little girls looked like her hair hadn't been washed or brushed in days. I couldn't believe that parents would send their children to school like that. After sitting in a kindergarten classroom, I also realized what a handful they can be because they have so much energy. I found it to be such a wonderful experience because of the way the children made me feel. They were all very welcoming and seemed to be very interested in why I was in their classroom. I thought the teacher was an outstanding teacher. She really got down to their level in order to help them learn. I wasn't as impressed with the assistant teachers way of dealing with the children. The teacher had to leave to get more fruit cups for the kids because they ran out. In the five or ten minuets that the teacher was gone, all the assistant did was yell at the children to be quiet. I thought she could have gone about it in a different way. I cant imagine how children can concentrate on learning if they are constantly being yelled at. I feel she didn't make it a very comfortable atmosphere for herself or the students. I feel that this school values trying to get the kids to the level that they should already be at at their age. One of the teachers had explained to me that ninety-five percent of the students that come in can't even write their name or understand what letters are. They have tons of different programs and activities to help the students get to the level thats appropriate for their age. Overall, I loved every second of observing a kindergarten class and I cannot wait to start tutoring them next Friday!

5 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds as if you really enjoyed your experience. I was just curious as to how you think that the school plans to help bring the children up to levels that are sufficient, and also what role you will play in doing so? The school seems like it has a lot to offer to the students and emphasizes learning as a primary builder in the educational process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school plans to help bring the children up to a sufficiant level by starting off with a subject that they arnt compehending and working with them for about a week. Then after the week is over they will test them on that particular skill. If the child passes then he or she gets to move on to the next subject, if the child is still having a hard time with it the teacher will continue to work with him or her. Every friday when i go into the school I will be working with a group of 3 or 4 students that are having trouble with reading. I will be doing different activities that will improve their reading skills. I dont know that much about what type of activities yet, because the teacher that is going to be there every week was out sick, but I'm sure she will go more in depth with it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha,

    Your observations are a great start. I like your description of the crowded nature of the workspace. Keep thinking about the impact of such conditions on learning. Also, I want to emphasize that you mentioned one child whose hair was disheveled. I am glad that you did not generalize your impression of that one child to include all or even most low income parents.

    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Samantha,
    I think it's great that you enjoyed your first time in the elementary school, it makes going back much easier. I thought what you said about the children's work space being cramped was interesting. Was the space in the room not utilized to full potential? Or was the room just to small to fit more desks or tables into it so the students could have more room? I definitely think that a comfortable working environment contributes to how well you can learn. I also thought a lot about the little girl with the dirty hair. It made me wonder if her parents were just negligent of hygiene, or if they were in a really tough situation where washing their daughter's hair was not a priority. Maybe they were homeless and didn't have a way to bathe their child. There are so many different possibilities, and I think it's hard but very important not to judge someone when you don't know the extent of the situation. It's great that the students were so interested in why you were there in their class, they are so curious at that age, and I think that is inspiring. I think it's unfortunate that the Teacher's Assistant felt it necessary to yell at the children when the teacher left the room, that is never a good way to discipline children and it also probably made the kids tune her out and not listen to anything she said. It's sad that 95% of the incoming students can't even write their own names, it makes you want to blame the parents for not teaching them, but then again, we don't know their situations, and isn't that why children go to school anyway, to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Grace
    The room could have probably fit more desks, but its very possible that the school didnt have enough money to provide more desks for the children. I think that students do go to school to learn, but i think its very important for parents to interact with their children and to prepare them for school. Even as babys parents need to be interacting with their son or daughter in order for them to hear and learn the language.

    ReplyDelete